This wasn’t a very complicated build, but very satisfying. I think it turned out better than I expected, and really completes the costume. It was simply sculpted from a couple sheets of MDF glued together, cut to shape with a jigsaw, and shaped using a belt sander, rasps, files, and a dremel. The biggest hurdle was sealing the carved MDF, since it’s basically a big sponge and impossible to paint until it’s sealed. I’ve tried wood glue in the past, and it seems to just exacerbate the fuzziness. What I ended up doing was using a brush-on polyurethane. That seemed to work better than anything else I’ve tried, but I don’t love it. I’ve since been alerted to the existence of something called Evercoat Featherfill, which I believe will work better. Once the shape was carved and sealed, I added details with Milliput epoxy putty.